C'est La Vie

"No longer forward nor behind
I look in hope and fear;
But grateful take the good I find,
The best of now and here."
- John G. Whittier

Friday, June 17, 2005

Sociological view on social interaction


Acquaintance: [waving cheerily] How are you?
Student: How am I in regard to what? My health, my finance, my schoolwork, my peace of mind, my...?
Acquaintance: [red in the face and suddenly out of control] Look! I was just trying to be polite. Frankly, I don't give a damn how you are.

"As this example shows, social interaction requires tacit agreement between both the actors about what is normal and expected. Without shared norms and understandings, no sustained interaction can occur. People are likely to get upset and end an interaction when one violates the assumptions underlying the stability and meaning of daily life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home